These questions are intended for patients to bring to their doctorís appointments.
These questions address some issues that may be discussed during the course of the patientís treatment and may be helpful for patients to refer to once they return home.
What is the name of my condition?
What caused the condition?
Will I keep having this problem?
How can I stop the condition from occurring again?
Will I need to have lab or other diagnostic tests?
How soon will I get the results?
Will someone call me with the results or do I need to call the office?
Do I need to have surgery immediately?
What would happen if I would wait six months? One year?
If I need surgery, what complications may occur with this kind of surgery?
How many surgeries of this type have you done?
Should I take any medications?
- What will the medication do?
- How often should I take the medication?
- Are there side effects?
- Are there any foods or other drugs that I should not take while on this medication?
- Can I drive a car while taking this medication?
- Do I need to limit any activities?
- How and which ones?
- Is there anything I can do to improve my bone quality or overall health?
The following questions are related to surgical treatment and will likely be addressed by your physician prior to surgery if surgery is needed.
- What is the expected recovery time?
- How many days will I be in the hospital after surgery?
- Will I have physical therapy?
- How long?
- Will I need full-time or part-time care?
- For how long?
- Will I need a hospital bed at home?
- When can I lie on operative side?
- How soon will I be able to walk after surgery?
- Will I need crutches or a walker?
- For how long?
- How soon will I be able to climb stairs after surgery?
- How soon will I be able to drive a car after surgery?
- When can I shower after surgery?
- How soon will I be able to resume normal lifestyle activities besides walking (i.e., work, sports, housework, gardening, etc.)?
- Which sports may I participate in?
- What are lifting limits?
- When is sexual intercourse feasible after surgery?
- Will I set off the detectors at the airport?
- Will I need antibiotics for dental care?
- What is the implant made of?
- In your estimate, how long will my joint replacement last?
- What can I do to help keep my joint replacement functioning as long as possible?
- What activities or other factors could make my joint replacement wear out more quickly, and what can I do to avoid them?